The Southern Jam Youth Jazz Festival is back and it’s bigger than ever… With more schools participating, more student talent on display, more bands to listen to and more venues to visit. This unique event, the only one of its kind in the South Island is a must for all music lovers!
Here are 5 reasons you should get behind this fabulous event
- You’ll be fostering youth talent – Be part of New Zealand’s musical future. This is a great opportunity for young musicians, all senior school students aged between 13 and 18, to learn from other great, well respected musicians; and for you to be among the first to experience the South Island’s next wave of musical talent.
- There’s a chance for you to enjoy some fantastic entertainment for FREE – It’s not often that you get something for nothing these days… Well you’ll be getting more than something, you’ll be getting high caliber performances, including big band sounds and mellow swinging rhythms at local cafes, restaurants, clubs and primary schools (for students only), with no entrance fee!
- Warm up your winter and boost your region’s economy – Experience the warmth of Marlborough’s wonderful hospitality. The public performance concerts (in the lead up to the Gala concert) are free; but the local cafes and restaurants will no doubt offer some spectacular food and beverages on their menus. Visitors flock to our region to enjoy this local fare, and now it’s your chance to support the local businesses that bring so much to our community.
- Experience something new – This year’s Gala concert will be held at a sparkling new location, the ASB Theatre Marlborough on Saturday 13th August. This new world-class venue offers state-of-the-art facilities and is a real asset to our region. If you haven’t been yet, this is the perfect opportunity.
- The judges are something else – And they’ll be entertaining you too! Buy your ticket to the Gala Concert and you won’t just enjoy pieces from all the schools who participate in this year’s event, you’ll be treated to the winning schools’ performing from their repertoire and the 2016 All Stars Band compiled from the TOP musicians of this year’s festival. PLUS you’ll be entertained by the ARA judges who have performed at festivals and concert engagements throughout New Zealand and overseas, with the likes of Dave Dobbyn, Jimmy Barnes and Scribe. This year’s judges are Darren Pickering, Luke Smillie, Scott Taitoko, Gwyn Reynolds, Brad Grainger and Kate Taylor.
Tickets for the Gala Concert are available from www.ticketdirect.co.nz or the ASB Theatre (03 520 8558). Adults: $38. Concession: $24. (All tickets subject to booking fees)